Colin's Hope Swim-a-Thon Fundraiser
Colin's Hope Fundraiser is this Monday, June 21st, during your normal practices. Swimmer's get pledges from friends & family and swim as many laps as possible at Monday's practice. Proceeds go to Colin's Hope & BWBW Swim Team.
Balcones Woods Blue Wave Swim Team has been raising money for Colin's Hope for eight years. We are proud to be Ambassadors for the cause of Water Safety! If you are making a donation on behalf of a particular Blue Wave swimmer, please be sure to mention the swimmer's name in the "Comments" section so that the child gets credit toward prizes! Thanks you so much for your support!
*Please find Pledge Sheet and Information Page under Resources Tab, Colin's Hope
ABOUT COLIN'S HOPE:
Did you know that drowning is the #1 cause of accidental death for children under 5 and a leading cause for ages 1-14? Or that drowning is fast, silent AND preventable?
Last year, Texas alone lost 81 children to FATAL, PREVENTABLE Drowning, while 5x as many have survived a non-fatal drowning. That number should be ZERO!
This year (as of today, June 14th), we have already lost at least 26 Texas children to PREVENTABLE drowning in all kinds of water- pools, bathtubs, ponds, buckets, beaches, lakes and rivers.
What does Colin's Hope do with the funds raised by our Athlete Ambassadors?
Colin's Hope uses the funds raised by Athlete Ambassadors to educate parents/caregivers and children to be safer around the water all year round through proven programs. We distribute 75,000 water safety education cards each year, sponsor swim lessons and water safety education lessons, stock life jacket loaner stations and serve in leadership positions locally, state and nationwide. The work that Colin's Hope does ABSOLUTELY saves lives, changes behaviors to be safer around water and prevents drownings. If we continue this work, together, WE CAN END DROWINING.
Who can be on the Team?
Any Balcones Woods resident's child or grandchild, who is younger than 19 on May 1, 2021, has some swimming skills (can do freestyle), has no separation anxiety, and is willing to follow group direction, is eligible to swim for the Blue Wave.
6 & Under Swimmers will try out May 4th & 6th. **** Please register new 6 & Under swimmers during registration but do not pay (select pay by check for payment method) until you get confirmation your child has made the team.
6 & Under Information regarding Tryouts Here are some important things to know as you consider whether or not your young swimmer is ready to be part of the Blue Wave, especially since things will be more restrictive than in the past due to Covid precautions.
* There will not be a Pre-Team this summer, so please do not sign up your child with the hopes of securing a Pre-Team spot.
* There are four required skills for the 6 & Under Tryouts. Those skills are: a) Ability to do a streamline with face down in the water. b) Ability to float on back for ten seconds, unassisted. (Coach can get the child started on his/her back.) c) Ability to swim half way down the pool, in any manner, unassisted, and without pulling on lane ropes or pushing off the pool bottom. d) Ability to kick on a kick board half way down the pool, unassisted, and without pulling on lane ropes or pushing off the pool bottom.
* Parents will not be permitted to bring their children into the pool area, nor stay in the pool area during practices, so there must be no separation anxiety.
* Children must be prepared to enter the pool for practice as soon as they walk into the pool area, so please take care of potty business at home, and be sure that your swimmer is attired in swim suit, swim cap (if needed) and googles before they walk into the pool area. (We do suggest swim caps for swimmers with long hair.)
* It will be a challenge, but Coach Lesley has been spending many hours planning the safest way for your children to be in the water together without being too close together....Of course, this goes against everything we know about how little ones act, 😳, so please encourage your children to listen closely to the coaches.
Coaches will have the final determination of a swimmer’s readiness. There will be no additional refunds for any reason.
If you have any questions please email our team president Kim Truss at email@example.com.